Thursday, October 22, 2015

Who's In Charge?

When working with a team of people, it's important to remember that everyone is a team member and works together for a common goal. Unfortunately, there are some people who seem to feel that they are the sole reason that the team exists and that their final say in the matter is all that counts.

I worked with several teams this week and one teammember is a good example of this.  He is the micromanager, the one calling all the shots and wants all the credit but doesn't want any of the hassle involved.  He ordered me to do suchandsuch and suchandsuch... and I complied.  As I was doing suchandsuch, he came over to me and jumped into the middle of my work saying "I'll take it from here."  When you are a technician and you've established what you are doing and want to take the work to the end and someone just jumps in, it's an indication that they do not respect you.  This micromanager told me to go take care of something else and then started checking my measurements to make sure they were all uniform with what he was doing.

This kind of teammember is the unelected boss of the group, the one who usually gets fragged first in every military movie.  Unfortunately for him, I don't work for him, I work for me and my contractor. This type of guy doesn't like the independent thinker, it unnerves him that someone might disagree with his ways or might know something more than he does.

Anyways, I pointed out that there was  a difference between doing something sloppy and doing it wrong... it's called tolerance.  And it's not like the work I was doing had to be so exact that it was life-saving and critical...he's just an egotistical megalomaniac.  Typical mentality of a laborer who doesn't measure twice and cut once.

No comments:

Post a Comment